Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!



Just a quick post for now, since I really need to get my baking finished.  Stay tuned later today or tomorrow morning for some Two-fer Pie.  The pie crust dough is waiting for me in the fridge.  And I made enough to make my favorite apple pie (coming soon as well).  

Meanwhile, we had to figure out something for breakfast.  I wish I had seen these pumpkin pancakes over at PheMOMenon sooner; I might have made them.  As it was, I turned to our usual standby, muffins.  I wasn't in the mood for any of our usual recipes, so I went looking for a new recipe.  I started with Dorie, but nothing jumped out at me.  So I turned to my other trusted source, King Arthur Flour, and found a recipe for Doughnut Muffins.  (If you haven't seen their great blog, go check it out!)  Best of all, it didn't call for anything that I don't have (like buttermilk--I never seem to have it when I need it).  

The recipe says that you can use either all-purpose or white whole wheat flour.  I used half of each (1 1/4 cups, or 5 5/8 ounces).  I kind of eyeballed the nutmeg, since I was grating it.  Time to hit the bulk department--I'm down to my last nutmeg.  Oh, and if you've never tried it, a microplane grater works well for nutmeg.  The batter wasn't as thick as I normally expect it to be for muffins.  That's probably why they have such a domed shape when they're done.  I let the muffins sit in the pan for a couple minutes, then brushed the tops with melted butter and sprinkled them liberally with cinnamon sugar.  


The verdict?  Yummy!  I ate mine plain, but I bet they would be good with some jam.  Ooh, or maybe I can try putting the jam inside--jelly doughnut muffins, anyone?  =)  Brianna ate all of hers, and Gillian ate the top off hers and played with the rest.  I definitely think these will make another appearance, especially since they're quite easy to make.

One more thing to share...  Brianna will be able to enjoy her Thanksgiving dinner more, now that she's finally lost her first tooth.  It took 2 1/2 weeks before it finally got so loose that she was willing to let me wiggle it out Tuesday night.  She won't have to eat quite so carefully now. =)  Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! Those muffins look pretty great to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those muffins - I use a similar recipe from the Jimtown Store Cookbook. I accidentally left some out overnight and it turns out they make a fabulous bread pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great picture of Brianna! It's exciting that she lost her first tooth, but a little sad, too! She's a cutie! Oh, and the muffins look yummy, too! :o)

    ReplyDelete