Saturday, December 17, 2011

2nd Annual Virtual Cookie Exchange - The Round-up!


Well, it's safe to say that I didn't realize just how crazy life was going to be the past couple weeks.  I figured it might take me a week to get the round-up done for our Virtual Cookie Exchange, but instead it's closer to two.  The good thing about the delay is that it allowed others (whose lives are also crazy, so I feel a little better) to get their posts done, even if it wasn't for the 4th.  So without further ado, here are all the tasty contributions.  I'm excited to be on vacation now until the 27th, so I'll actually have time to try some of these!


I think Phyl's Scottish Shortbread may have been the last cookies I read about, but they're one of the first on my list to try.  I love shortbread--mmm, buttery. =)  I often make shortbread into round cookies, but I think I need to invest in some pretty scalloped cutters. 



Jessica was also a bit delayed--hopefully her technical difficulties have finally been resolved.  She recently renamed her blog to What Happens After Singleton, since she got married a couple months ago.  She's having fun figuring out how to blend holiday traditions to come up with something that works for her new family.  Personally, I think her husband is crazy not to like these English Gingersnaps. =)



Julie is a new member of our merry band of seasonal bakers.  I hope she brings lots of yummy things like these Nutella No-Bake Cookies!  No-bake cookies are a favorite of mine, but I never would have thought to make them with Nutella instead of peanut butter.  Considering how much my girls love chocolate hazelnut spread, I will definitely be making these soon.



Chaya made cookies with one of my favorite things, butterscotch chips.  I ate them by the handful when I was pregnant with Brianna.  I don't eat them quite so often these days, but I always have a bag or two stashed away in my pantry.  So I'll be able to make these yummy Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies.  



Nancy got to break out her German cookie molds for these gorgeous Soft Gingerbread Cookies from Tartine.  I don't have the book, but I think it's going on my wishlist.  And these cookies will be a perfect way to use some of the blackstrap molasses that I bought by accident...



Kayte brought us these adorable Orange Creme Roll cookies.  I admit, my first thought was that they look like cannoli. =)  I need to get my hands on some of her clothespins first, though.  I have some, but not the right kind.  I suspect I can improvise something, though.



Once again, I think Marthe is the participant from farthest away.  (She lives in The Netherlands.)  That's one of the things I love about our virtual exchange--we don't have to worry that distance will keep people away.  I definitely wouldn't want to miss out on these Chocolate Munchies that Marthe made!



I'm pretty sure that Mike has the same cookie press that my mom had.  I love his addition of salt on top of his Caramel Spritz Cookies.  I still prefer the butter ones, but I'll have to try substituting some brown sugar in my recipe, or putting butter in Mike's. Either way, I have to try these.



I have a copy of Alice Medrich's recent cookie book, but haven't baked nearly enough from it.  Fortunately, Leslie brought these fantastic Chocolate Espresso Cookies to my attention.  I'm sure B&G will be thrilled when I make them--they think I don't make nearly enough chocolate cookies. 



You can't go wrong with a classic combination like chocolate and peanut butter.  That probably explains why these Peanut Butter Blossoms are always so popular.  I'm really glad that Kayte convinced Katie to join us this year so she could share these.



At first glance, you might think that Jessica brought us more chocolate cookies.  And she did, sort of.  But she went one better, and combined chocolate with ginger for these yummy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies.  Don't ask me why, but even though I don't care for cinnamon with chocolate, ginger with chocolate is just fine.



Dorie is always suggesting that we play around with her recipes, and Spike did just that.  She took the already awesome World Peace Cookies and added candy canes to make them World Peace & Peppermint Cookies.  Maybe if I have some of these in the house, I won't be as tempted by the Starbucks Peppermint Hot Chocolate. Right? 



Another great pairing with chocolate is caramel.  These Heartland Turtle Bars that Mary brought look like a great way to combine the two.  I have to admit, sometimes I really love making bar cookies so I don't have to mess with baking multiple pans of cookies.



Next up is our over-achiever, Margaret. =)  When I sent out the email about this year's cookie exchange, I was teasing Margaret about making two cookies last year instead of just one.  Well, this year, she made three!  All look wonderful--Angel Wings, Double Drizzle Pecan Cookies, and Eggnog Thumbprints.



If you need a whole bunch of cookies but don't want to make several kinds, then Abby's Peppernuts (from her mother-in-law) might be the cookies for you.  She mentions that the yield from the recipe is about 560 cookies.  No, that's not a typo.  Fortunately, she also mentions that they keep well and you can freeze them. =)



Next up is a good example of why I love these cookie exchanges.  My other friend Margaret shared a very special cookie with us.  She received the recipe for these Candy Cane Cookies from her sister-in-law shortly after she married into the family.  I bet they would be lots of fun to make with my girls.  And she gives a handy tip for crushing the candy canes, too!



Elaine was worried about running late, but I think I've got her beat. =)  Besides, if you show up with cookies, who cares if you're late?  These Pecan Crunch Cookies have an unusual ingredient, but you'll have to head over to Elaine's blog to see what it is.



I was really excited to see Tracey's contribution to the cookie exchange.  Every year I make goodie bags for the girls' teachers.  This year, I really wanted to make biscotti for some of them, but I also wanted something without nuts.  These Candy Cane Biscotti are perfect!  They'll be the first cookie exchange recipe that I make, but I'm sure they won't be the last.



Last but not least, we have my Spritz Cookies.  This is another recipe that makes a lot of cookies--they're small, so you can eat several without feeling too guilty.

I really hope that you've enjoyed this year's Virtual Cookie Exchange.  If this isn't enough cookie recipes for you, you can always go back and look at last year's roundup, too.  If you'd like to join us for future blog events, email me at diskitchennotebook at gmail dot com, and I'll add you to my list.  Look for the Winter event sometime in February!


14 comments:

  1. Yay! Love seeing all these delicious cookies together, Di. Thanks for organizing and hosting this exchange again this year. I can't wait to bake some of these fabulous recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Nancy's comment Di - thanks for hosting the exchange! It's a lot of fun to see what everyone else shared, and I have already bookmarked a few recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job again ths year. Wonderful cookies this year.y cookie recipes would be slim without these round-ups. Thanks for this years'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! I'm so excited to get in the kitchen and start baking...what a lovely collection! Thanks so much for hosting us all, Di...these exchanges are a ton of fun. :) Enjoy vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thrilled you did this and thank you. I see a number of cookies, I can make for my class for our Chanukah party. They are going to love all these wonderful bakers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic round up, Di! I can't wait to try some new recipes. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks again for your hard work, Di....what a stunning assortment of cookies. Now, if only I could have one of each with my morning coffee! As of tomorrow I'll be off of work until the 1st! Merry Christmas! Enjoy your baking spree!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I smiled through this entire post, not only because it was such a good read and your comments so endearing to us all, nor was it all because all the cookies look great, because they do look great, but the main reason I was smiling so much was that it brought all of us together, those I bake and cook with all year long, and have for years and years, and it just seemed a perfect cap to a year of friendship and being together...all over the plates and plates of cookies. It was just a wonderful feeling...thank you so much for hosting, I'm already looking forward to next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great roundup, Di! Well worth waiting for. And just in time for some week-before-Christmas treats for home and the office. All the contributions look delicious. I'm going to have a hard time choosing which to try first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it. I am super hungry and want to start getting butter to room temperature. Thank you so much for putting this together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oops, i meant to post but am too late! Love the idea and the round up :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great roundup! I enjoyed reading it and thinking about what I want to make next. Thanks for bringing us all together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous roundup!! Loved seeing everyone's entries. Wishing I had made some and joined in. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post of some very tempting cookies! Wish i could have participated, too. Maybe next year i can get my act together!!

    ReplyDelete