Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas!


Here's the recipe for the Chocolate Bon-Bon Cookies, since I was too tired to post it yesterday.  The original recipe that I have called for 3/4 cup shortening.  I tried it with all butter one time to improve the flavor, but the dough spread way too much.  So I switched to half butter and half shortening.  I usually weigh flour when I can, but this recipe pre-dates my use of a scale.  I just used a measuring cup, but I've found that my cup weighs about 4.5 oz.

Chocolate Bon-Bon Cookies

6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
6 tbsp shortening (no trans-fat)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (I used pecans)
4 dozen chocolate kisses (unwrapped)
assorted colored sugars and sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cream sugars with butter and shortening until light and fluffy.  Add egg and extracts and beat well.  Add flour, baking power, salt and nuts and mix until blended.
Form dough into 1 inch balls.  Press each ball around a chocolate kiss so the kiss is completely enclosed (like a chocolate-covered cherry).  Dip in sprinkles and place sprinkle-side up onto baking sheet.  
Bake 12 minutes, or until just beginning to brown around the edges.  Allow to rest on baking sheet about 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely.  Yields 4 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment