Sunday, December 23, 2012

Peace on earth, and in cookies


Happy blogiversary to me!  5 years and 485 posts later, I'm still here. =)  I'd hoped to be closer to 500, but it's been a busy month.  I've been on vacation for the past few days and have finally had time to do some holiday stuff.  We finally put up the Christmas tree last weekend, and finished putting ornaments on it today.  Yes, it's been that kind of week.  On Wednesday I baked lots of cookies to take to G's kindergarten holiday party.  The kids had fun decorating the cookies (and eating lots of the decorations straight up, since I brought stuff like chocolate chips and m&m's).  B's party was Thursday, and at her request I made brownies for her to take.  Then on Friday I made a batch of caramel snack mix to bag up for my employees.  Right now I'm working on chocolate sponge cake that will be one component of a chocolate mousse cake (G's request for a holiday dessert).  Tomorrow I should finally get to cookies for us--and Santa Claus--now that I've finally gotten my hands on Hershey's kisses after looking at three different stores.  

Along with all the other baking, I wanted to make something for teacher gifts.  The girls were in favor of something chocolate.  I wanted something without nuts, since there are allergy issues at the schools.  I also wanted a dough that was easy to make ahead if necessary and bake off as needed.  I've never been a big fan of slice & bake cookies, but I may have changed my mind this year, after settling on Dorie's World Peace Cookies as the recipe to make.  I've made them before, of course, but not in as large a quantity as I did this year.  To make them more festive, I substituted peppermint crunch baking bits for part of the chopped chocolate, and used mini chocolate chips for the rest.  


The verdict?  I've made three batches so far, and will make at least one more to ship, since these should be sturdy enough to travel.  I got a couple of notes from the teachers, saying that they really liked the chocolate & peppermint combo.  I've stashed away several bags of the mint baking bits so I'll be able to make a bunch more of these if we want.  I've also passed out the recipe to several people, and I hope they'll give them a try for themselves.  If you'd like to, you can find the recipe online at Bon Appetit.

I've really enjoyed sharing both my baked goods and my life with all of you over the past 5 years--I've made lots of great friends, which is without a doubt one of the best things about blogging.  Here's to many more wonderful years!


5 comments:

  1. World Peace Cookies are a perfect way to celebrate, whether it's appreciating great teachers or marking a BIG blogoversary. Congrats, Di, I'm glad we met through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogversary, Di! Here's to many more posts, recipes, photos, cookies, and "good mornings!" with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations on 5 years!!! And those cookies look great - one of the things I love about the slice and bake ones is how uniform they look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogiversary Di! I am such a huge fan of your blog, I really look forward to seeing where it goes in 2013 :) Oh, and the world peace cookies with the peppermint bits = genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding the peppermint chips makes these year-round cookies so festive. They look perfect and it sonds like they were a hit. Happy Blogaversary, Di! I wish you a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete