Amazingly enough, here it is. My second post in three days. Thanks again to Phyl for getting me motivated. Part of my blogging slump has been due to lack of time. Work has been kicking my butt. I get up a bit before 5:00 and spend the next 60 to 70 minutes getting myself ready for work, packing my lunch, getting breakfast/snacks together for the girls. Then I attempt to pry my daughters out of bed (so they can start getting dressed, etc.) before I run out the door with my travel mug of tea in hand. This morning was no exception. I got to work just before 6:30 and spent the next half an hour getting things ready for the work day. At about 7:15, it occurred to me that I was hungry and that I should get my breakfast out of my bag. There was only one problem--my bagel was still sitting at home in the toaster, waiting to be toasted. D'oh!
Maybe I should have had a whole serving of this sorbet at 5:30 this morning, instead of the single spoonful that I snuck as I was checking on it to see if it had firmed up overnight. I made the base last night as I was feeding the girls dinner, and churned it as I was making mine & Jamie's. Then it went into the freezer for the night. I was intrigued by this recipe when I first got my July/August issue of Cook's Illustrated. I've made sorbet recipes before, but this one promised to tackle a number of problems that you can encounter with sorbet--grainy or crumbly texture, being too hard to scoop, and melting too fast. The ingredient list is pretty straightforward--raspberries (I used frozen ones that I thawed), sugar, corn syrup, salt, water and one slightly unusual ingredient, pectin. I definitely encourage you to read the article that explains how they came up with the final method (here online, or better yet, in the magazine (check your local library)).
The verdict? Very, very tasty. The tartness of the raspberries is one of my favorite things about them, and there's just enough sugar to sweeten without making the sorbet taste very sweet. I'm not sure the texture is quite right, but it just occurred to me that I think I goofed. The recipe calls for 20 ounces of raspberries. I had two bags of frozen raspberries, and I was thinking that they were 10 ounces each. However, I'm pretty sure that they were actually 12 ounces, so I had about 20 percent more puree than I should have. I'm sure that would be enough to throw the texture off a bit. I definitely want to make this one again, so I'll see if there's a difference once I correct that. Just from my limited experience with the sorbet so far, it does seem like it doesn't melt as quickly as some I've tried, so the pectin is doing its job. I have a whole bunch of the pectin left, so I'd like to try it in other sorbet recipes, like this chocolate one.
If you'd like to try the sorbet for yourself, you can find the recipe here. Phyl has a perfect-for-summer frozen wine slushy on his blog today, and will have links to other non-dairy frozen treats. Check them out! =)