Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter eggs


I don't like hard-boiled eggs, but I'm still the one who makes them. =)  Jamie & Brianna eat them; G is like me and won't touch them.  So I don't usually make very many to dye at Easter, since I don't want to have a bunch of eggs that don't get eaten.  Plus G is still young enough to need help, and my patience with egg-dying wears thin pretty quickly.  Maybe we'll do more next year.

The recipe I use is from Cook's Illustrated; it works great.  You put the eggs in a pot filled with cold water and bring it to a boil over high heat.  Once the water boils, you turn off the heat, cover the pot, and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.  At that point, I move the pot to the sink and run cold water in it until the water is all cool, then add a whole bunch of ice to the pot.  I usually leave the eggs in there until most of the ice has melted, then dry them off and put them in a carton in the fridge.

You can find the actual recipe here at Cook's Illustrated.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for making hard boiled eggs even though you don't like them! The dying is my favorite part of this tradition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like hard boiled eggs but I despise peeling them (mostly because I stink at it!) so I rarely make them. I haven't dyed eggs in ages, but yours made me smile!

    ReplyDelete