Sunday, January 18, 2009

A future in food styling



I know I said the challah would be next (and it's coming as soon as I finish writing the post), but I'm taking things a bit out of order.  When I was off last Wednesday, I mixed up a batch of light whole wheat bread using the Artisan Bread in Five method.  It's pretty similar to the master bread recipe that I started with.  You just substitute a cup of whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur white whole wheat flour) for a cup of the all-purpose flour.  After I mixed it, I let it rise at room temperature for a couple hours and then put it in the fridge.  I pretty much ignored it until Saturday morning.  When I checked on it, I noticed that the dough had deflated some.  So I stirred it around in the bucket with a spatula, thinking that might get the yeast going some more.  And it did.  When I checked it again this morning, it was bubbly and had risen back up somewhat.  I took out a pound of the dough and made a batard with it.  After letting it rise at room temperature for about an hour and a half, I baked it for 35 minutes.

The bread was cool just in time for lunch, so I used it to make some sandwiches for Brianna and Gillian.  Chicken and mozzarella cheese for Gillian, chicken and "orange cheese" (sharp cheddar) for Brianna.  It's funny how they're different about so many little things... =)  After cutting the sandwiches in half, I turned around to get a couple plates out of the cupboard.  When I turned back, Brianna told me, "Look, Mommy!  I stacked it up so it looks nice.  Will you take a picture of it?"  "Sure, I can do that."  "And then will you put it on the computer?"  How could I say no? =)



4 comments:

  1. Awww, man! That is too cute! She did a fabulous job styling her sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say the child is ready for the New York scene, where they like to pile things up nice and tall!
    I am loving how quickly we can get bread on the table with this method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you've got a future food blogger for sure! Now when Brianna starts asking you to take her pretty stacked food outside at 4 p.m. to capture the optimal natural light, then I guess it's time for an intervention :-) I LOVE your bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bread looks great. And I love your daughter's styling. :)

    ReplyDelete