Sunday, October 2, 2011

LiveSTRONG with lots of cookies


I've been having a really hard time deciding what to write in this post.  For the past several years, I've participated in LiveSTRONG Day by posting a yellow dessert and telling you all about how cancer has touched my life.  I don't really want to go back over the same ground, but I still appreciate the chance to share something with you.  First is these cookies.  I generally associate yellow with lemon, so it's really not a surprise that I've got another lemon recipe for you this year.  These simple cookies are flavored with lemon zest.  Since the cookies themselves aren't that yellow, I also made some lemon curd to go with them.  The other thing that I want to share is something that I posted on Facebook earlier this year, in remembrance of my first husband Nate, who lost his battle with cancer in 1996:

"People speak of you less often now. The things you did are being done by others. I no longer notice your lingering presence in every room. Then an old friend calls and we tell forgotten tales, or I find a place not yet emptied by my grieving. And I am touched by the reality of you once more, and quietly I celebrate your continuance." 


The verdict on the cookies?  I was pleasantly surprised to see how much the girls loved these cookies.  I'm partial to pretty much anything lemon, but they often think things are too tart.  That's the nice thing about these lemon wafers--they have more of a hint of lemon, rather than hitting you over the head with it.  If you want a big lemon punch, add the lemon curd.  This recipe of Alice Medrich's is one of the tartest I've made, I think.  You can find the recipe for the lemon curd in her book Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies.  The Lemon Goldies are in there, too, but you can also find that recipe online here.  (A bit of advice--just put the lemon curd on top of a cookie & eat it, don't try to make sandwiches.  The lemon curd all comes out the sides when you try to bite the sandwich...)

There isn't an official LiveSTRONG with a Taste of Yellow event this year, but Barbara has a post up with links to the events from past years.  You can read more about LiveSTRONG Day 2011 here.  And the quotation is from Safe Passage: Words to Help the Grieving by Molly Fumia, a book of meditations on grief.

6 comments:

  1. Quiet reminders of grief. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that they're wafer cookies Di. They'll be going on my to-do list along with the curd, which I can never get enough of anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon always a popular choice around here, so this looks really wonderful to me. A nice tribute for Nate. Sometimes it is just nice to have a reason to write the name, spell it out, see it written...yes, sometimes that is reason enough. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look beautiful, Di. Another lovely Live Strong post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your tributes to Nate. He lives on thanks to you sharing your memories and touches people who didn't even know him. Now that's a legacy.

    These cookies sound delicious. I have some lemon curd ice cream in the freezer that would be perfect with them.

    ReplyDelete