Sunday, October 23, 2011

Handmade Loaves - The round-up

I was thrilled to see such a wonderful turnout for my Handmade Loaves event!  We got all kinds of loaves--yeast breads, quick breads and pounds cakes, as well as a few savory contributions (yes, including a meatloaf) and a no-bake dessert.  I hope these enticing pictures will lead you to check out the full posts from all of these great bakers.


First up is the one that I'm probably most eager to try.  Abby of Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it! made this gorgeous Windsor knot loaf of Berne Brot.  I'm so glad that she included a link to a shaping tutorial, because I have got to try it for myself.  Read more about it here.  


Next is Phyl from Of Cabbages and King Cakes, lover of all things pumpkin.  He recently hosted a pumpkin blogging round-up, and in the process of deciding what to make himself he ran across this yummy pumpkin cornbread.  He discovered that it paired nicely with a bowl of chili.  Check it out!



Pamela of Cookies with Boys also went the pumpkin route.  She added some Biscoff Spread (I admit, I have a jar, but so far it's only made it as far as a spoon) and drizzled it with caramel.  Sounds good to me--go take a closer look!



If you're in a rush, try out this cake from Mike of Living Out West.  He freely admits that he used cake mix and box pudding.  But with the additions of lots of nutmeg and even more sherry, I don't think anyone will complain!  Just be sure to check the liquor cabinet before you head to the store for the other ingredients--3/4 cup will certainly put a dent in your sherry supply.  Read more here.  



My daughters are sure to approve of this loaf from Elaine of California Living.  She shared a loaf of pumpkin bread that's chock full of chocolate chips.  I was pretty skeptical about the combination of chocolate and pumpkin the first time I tried it, but I have to agree, it's pretty tasty.  Head over to her blog for the recipe!



Next we have a new participant, Carol of Bookcase Foodie.  I totally agree with the goal of her blog--trying to use all the cooking magazines and cookbooks that she already has.  I need to do the same.  At first glance, you might think that she's made us another quick bread.  But it's actually a kugel in loaf form.  Read more about her Carrot Kugel here.  




Yay!  I was very excited to see some savory entrees from our next baker, Chaya.  She sent me one for each of her blogs.  The first is a breakfast quick bread with cheese and veggies that you can find on Bizzy Bakes.  The second is, yes, a meatloaf!  I'm sure that my husband would love the Mexican flavors if I made it for him.  Read about it here on My Sweet and Savory.  



I love how Mary of Popsicles and Sandy Feet subtitled her blog post "A cautionary tale."  Apparently she missed the instruction in the recipe that said to lower the oven temperature after putting her loaf in the oven.  Hmmm, I wonder who else will admit to having similar baking mishaps?  (For me, it's not if I've done it, it's how many times...)  Read more here



Besides Abby's shaping, this is the loaf that I am most excited to try.  Margaret of The Irish Mother developed her own recipe for Multigrain Bread.  And it is absolutely gorgeous!  There are lots of helpful process pictures in her post, so go read it!



Now for my other friend Margaret.  You might think that she brought us another pumpkin quick bread. But she went with another winter squash to make this lovely Butternut Squash Bread.  I'm always looking for more ways to sneak veggies into my kids, so I'm going to have to try this.  (though I may have to add chocolate chips to get them to eat it)  Head over to Margaret's blog for more info, as well as a picture of her cute steamer.  



The list of things I want to try ASAP just keeps getting longer and longer.  As someone who never gets tired of pizza, I was so excited to see the pictures for Jeannette's bread.  She added pepperoni, but I might have to see what other "toppings" I can get in there.  (Mushrooms are my favorite.)  Go check out her blog post at The Whimsical Cupcake, for more photos to drool over.  



I may have a hard time finding space for all the bakeware I already have, but that doesn't stop me from wanting the cute 4-loaf pan that Peggy has in her post.  Head over to her post at Pantry Revisited to see the pan as well as all the cute Halloween decorations she has pictured with her Pumpkin Bread mini loaves.  



Gillian keeps bugging me to make raisin bread for her.  I'm still trying to work it into the baking schedule, but when I do, it's going to be this loaf from my friend Nancy.  She posted it on her bread blog, Corner Loaf.  Her daughter bakes with a bread collective, and they were kind enough to let Nancy share the recipe for this yummy cinnamon swirl loaf.  You can get the recipe here.  



Jessica of Cookbookhabit found out about our blogging event at the last minute.  She says that her loaf of Portugese Sweet Bread isn't handmade since it came out of her bread machine.  I say that it came out of her kitchen rather than from a store, so that's close enough. =)  Every time King Arthur has a blog post that uses a bread machine (mostly for mixing), I kind of want one.  You can read more about Jessica's loaf here.  



A couple friends were running a bit late, but I often have the same problem, so I understand.   Marthe of The Baking Bluefinger shared this easy no-bake dessert with us--Arretje's Cake.  I love reading about Dutch things on Marthe's blog--it's fun to see what's popular in other cultures.  Be sure to read about this recipe and others.



Tracey was also having a crazy week.  She got her loaf baked, but just took awhile to get it posted.  No problem--her Lemon Lemon Loaf was definitely worth waiting for!  I love anything lemon, so I can't wait to try this recipe.  Tracey always has gorgeous pictures, and this post is no exception.  Go take a look!



And last but not least, I made a pound cake, too.  Mine was flavored with nutmeg, one of my favorite spices, as well as a bit of bourbon.  I had to make a second loaf to get pictures, since the first loaf disappeared so quickly.  You can read more about it here.  


I hope you've enjoyed reading about all of these wonderful loaves.  (If I somehow missed your loaf in the round-up, please let me know!)  Check back in early December for our 2nd annual Virtual Cookie Exchange!  If you want to join in the fun but aren't already getting emails from me about the seasonal blogging events, send me an email at diskitchennotebook at gmail dot com.

13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection of diverse loaves! Lots of delicious ideas to put on my list. Thanks for organizing the event, Di, and for the wonderful roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for putting this event together, Di! It was fun to see everyone's loaves collected here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a beautiful, personalized description of each submission. There are great recipes here. Hope to try many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great roundup, Di! So many recipes I want to try now. Thanks for hosting this event!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a great round-up, Di! I'm with you...I need to attempt that gorgeous Windsor Knot! And lots of other tempting goodies here. Thanks for organizing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my loaf and quick bread to-bake list just grew by wayyy too many delicious looking loaves!! i'm glad you did this event Di, thanks for hosting and giving me the opportunity to participate :) love doing these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a lot of fun. Thank you for organizing it. Love ALL the loaves on here and cannot wait to try some of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for another super fun event, Di! There are so many new great recipes to try...lots of bookmarks! Loved the round-up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone's loaves look wonderful and am looking forward to trying the recipes. Thanks again, Di, for organizing this. I am looking forward to the virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great collection of goodies. Not a duplicate in the bunch. And great round-up, Di. These are so much fun. Looking forward to making many of these goodies.

    Thanks for doing this one. Looking forward to Cookies in December.

    ReplyDelete
  11. everything looks great- love the event. Sending you an email to join in for future ones!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delicious round up! I love the variety of savory and sweet. Some very creative loaves! Can't wait for your future round ups!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what an impressive array of loaves...such fun to see all the creativity and what everyone's interpretation would be for this. Great job with the post, too!

    ReplyDelete