Monday, January 28, 2013

The darkest hour


Do any of the rest of you get up early to bake?  I've always been more of a morning person than a night owl.  Plus, there's something so nice about being up before the sun, when the day is still so quiet and undisturbed.  I get so much more done then than if I stay up late to finish something.

Today, it was getting up to make a batch of Swiss meringue buttercream.  (Dorie's recipe from BFMHTY.)  I've made it so many times now, I could practically do it in my sleep. =)  It helps that I had leftover egg whites in my fridge.  I made the cupcakes last night--the Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes from Cook's Illustrated, minus the ganache filling--and this way they had plenty of time to cool completely.  B surprised me by saying that if she had to pick just one frosting flavor, it would be vanilla.  (She originally wanted me to do a chocolate/vanilla swirl.)  She picked the wrappers, and we decided pink edible glitter would coordinate nicely.

It's so fluffy!!!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! I'm with you...I get soooo much more accomplished in those early hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get up early to bake? Are you kidding me with that? LOL. I might do it for bread occasionally, but even then, I don't think my idea of early and yours is necessarily the same. I'm thinking No Baking Before 9 a.m. is probably my motto. Closer to 10, even better. That said, you do stellar things early in the dark hour...maybe I should give it a try. Very pretty cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends for me, sometimes I bake early and sometimes late. I'm usually more productive at night, but also tend to make more mistakes because I'm exhausted. I love SMBC but I don't remember having made Dorie's recipe...need to check that out!

    ReplyDelete