I'm still trying to figure out what was going on in December 2007 that prompted so many people to start food blogs. It seems like I keep finding other bloggers that I feel like have been around forever that started their blogs right around the same time I did. Today, I'm excited to wish Shelby of The Life & Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch a very happy 4th anniversary for her blog! A while back, Shelby sent me an invitation to a virtual party to celebrate her blogiversary. We're all bringing one of my favorite types of party food--appetizers and small plates. What better way to get to sample lots of yummy dishes without getting full too quickly. =)
I decided to share a recipe that I've made a bunch of times, but somehow never blogged--Cheddar Cheese and Pecan Crisps. They're flaky, buttery, nutty cheese crackers that are excellent with a glass of celebratory beverage. =) You can cut out round cookies, but I like to do other shapes, like these stars. (Snowflakes are fun too, this time of year.) I've confused people a few times, when they thought they were picking up a sweet cookie and instead ended up with a savory mouthful. Not a bad thing, of course, just unexpected. The recipe suggests using a mix of cheddar and parmesan, but you can use other sharp cheeses as well. I usually make mine with just cheddar. I'm not a big fan of spicy things, but the bit of cayenne in these gives them a little kick that's very tasty. One last note--the recipe calls for 7 ounces of butter--that's 14 tablespoons. The first time I made these, I misread the amount, and used only 7 tablespoons. The crackers actually turned out okay. I'm not sure they really need the full amount (feel free to try it and see what you think), but I have increased the amount I use from 7 to 10 tablespoons, which I think works well.
The verdict? These crackers are always a hit whenever I serve them. The recipe makes lots, so I usually even have a few left over to snack on for a couple of days. I pretty much only make them for parties, otherwise I'd be tempted to eat the entire batch myself. =)
You can find the recipe here on the Fine Cooking website. For lots more great appetizers & snacks, be sure to check out all the other links to Shelby's blogiversary party. Also, to celebrate her blog anniversary, Shelby is sponsoring a giveaway on her blog. Here are the details:
- Receive one entry by leaving a comment on this blog post telling me about your favorite appetizer.
- For additional entries, visit the blog links that will take you to the blogs of others who have joined in the celebration party and leave a comment on each of their posts.
- The giveaway will end on January 7th at 5 PM EST. The winner will be announced on January 8th via a blog post on The Life & Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch.
- The winner will be chosen via a random drawing (drawing to be done by Grumpy). The prize will be a $50 gift card which can be for ONE of the choices listed here: Sears; Kohls; Amazon; Target; Wal-mart; Chili's; Uno's; Marshalls/TJMax; Bed, Bath & Beyond; Macaroni Grill; Olive Garden; Starbucks; Barnes & Noble
- The giveaway is limited to US and Canadian residents only.