Monday, November 28, 2011

Chocolate for Monday


While I have been reveling in fall flavors (apples, pumpkin, lots of spices), not everyone around here is quite as happy about it.  In fact, as I was assessing dessert options one night a few weeks ago (ginger crackles or caramel candy corn), Gillian looked at me and said, "Mommy, can't you just make us something chocolate?!"  Something chocolate often means brownies, but I was more in the mood for cookie baking.  So I hit the books to see what I could find.  Actually, I hit the magazines, too.  While I was waiting for all the new holiday baking magazines to arrive on the shelves, I pulled out some of my old ones for inspiration.  That's where I found these.


"These" are Triple Chocolate Cookies from the folks at America's Test Kitchen.  I found the recipe in my 2009 Cook's Illustrated Holiday Baking issue.  Definitely no shortage of chocolate in these!  The three chocolates referred to in the title are unsweetened chocolate and bittersweet chocolate chips, which are melted (along with the butter) and added to the batter, and semisweet chocolate chips that are stirred in at the end.  The mixing method reminds me more of making brownies than most cookie recipes.  First, the eggs and sugar are beaten together for several minutes.  Vanilla and coffee (I used espresso powder) are added for flavoring, then the melted chocolate/butter mixture is mixed in.  Finally, flour, salt and a bit of baking powder are folded in.  Since the batter is very soft, you let it sit at room temperature for half an hour or so to firm up.  I made my cookies a bit smaller than the recipe called for and baked them for about 10 minutes.


The verdict?  Well, Gillian was definitely thrilled with these cookies. =)  Brianna seemed pretty happy, too.  In fact, I think they were a hit with everyone here, so I'm sure I'll be making them again.  While they were fine with just the chocolates, I bet they'd be pretty tasty with some toasted pecans or dried cranberries or cherries mixed in.

While these aren't a traditional holiday cookie, if you're craving chocolate this time of year (or just need it to treat a case of the Mondays), I recommend trying these out.  You can find the recipe online at either Cook's Country or America's Test Kitchen.  For other great recipes from magazines, check out Magazine Mondays over at Cream Puffs in Venice!


7 comments:

  1. Those would definitely hit the chocolate spot...funny, I think sometime over the weekend I switched from pumpkin to chocolate cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM. No nuts or cherries - those would ruin a good chocolaty cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you just need chocolate! These certainly look like they'd do the trick

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one smart daughter you have! These look fantastic. I've made them before and remember they were very chocolatey, but not over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. B&G sound like Shane. I always feel a little guilty when I tell him I'm making yet another pumpkin or apple treat, when I know all he really wants is chocolate :) These cookies would definitely fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look fantastic. The last recipe I tried for triple choc cookies was an epic FAIL....but I'm definitely going to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great pick. They look wonderful. I have made these many times and they're always a big hit. Sometimes I drizzle them with caramel :-)

    ReplyDelete