Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chocolate for breakfast


I'm taking a short break from my Ice Cream Week (and a half) to bring you these yummy muffins.  This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was selected by Bridget of The Way the Cookie Crumbles.  She picked Chocolate Chunk Muffins. When I first read the pick for this week, my first thought was that I was sure I'd made this recipe before.  After all, how could I go three and a half years baking from this book and skip over something with so much chocolate?  Especially since my girls love anything with chocolate chips/chunks.  I looked through my archives, but there was no evidence that I've made these before. 

Like most muffins, these were easy to mix up.  You mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in another (in this case, two others), pour the wet on top of the dry, and gently mix until just barely incorporated.  I used regular Hershey's cocoa powder and 58% El Rey chocolate in the muffins.  For the chunks, I actually used chocolate chips, 63% dark chocolate chips from Guittard.  I loved the texture of the muffin batter--not at all runny.  That was good, because it always seems like when I have a runny batter, I end up with flat tops (on muffins or cupcakes) that bake into each other.  No such problems here!  I ended up baking my muffins for 20 minutes.


The verdict?  Gillian will always love scones more, but these muffins were deemed an acceptable way to start off our Independence Day.  =)  Anything with chocolate chips tends to go over well in this house.  The girls ate theirs plain, but I topped mine with some raspberry fruit butter, which was a very good combination.  I love raspberry and chocolate together.

For this week's recipe, head over to Bridget's blog.  And to see what everyone else thought of these, check out the Links.   Stay tuned for another great chocolate/raspberry combination tomorrow!


10 comments:

  1. This is one that I have wanted to bake for quite some time. They were good, especially with extra chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What better way to start your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jillian must have very good taste. These were yummy but no match for a scone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were good weren't they. So moist and full of chocolate. Definitely good for b'fast, or lunch, or dinner or dessert.....

    That raspberry butter sounds perfect for these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your las photo of the single muffin! I just made mine this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought these were prefect for pairing with jam. Not too sweet on their own, the chocolate chunks and the jam made them just right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the craggly tops to yours - they look wonderful and I'm so glad the girls loved them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad they were a hit! If my mom had offered these muffins for breakfast when I was a kid I wouldn't have complained one tiny bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no doubt that these would be a hit at your house! Nice photos of them, too. So cute when your little girls have such definite opinions on food!

    ReplyDelete