Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A year of Dorie



I've always been a rule-follower.  It often drives me crazy when others don't follow rules, especially traffic laws.  =)  I joke about Brianna's "hall monitor" attitude, but much as it pains me to admit it, she gets it from me. =)  And then there's the fact that I'm also a bit of an over-achiever.  I tend to go above and beyond what I need to do, which sometimes causes me to get stressed out over things more than necessary.

Tuesdays with Dorie is a good case in point.  The point of the group is to bake on a weekly basis, working through the recipes in the fabulous Baking From My Home to Yours.  But because life sometimes gets in the way, Laurie said that we have to participate a minimum of two weeks out of four. I tend to feel guilty, though, when I miss a week, even if life is crazy or I really don't like what we're making. 

This week was more the former than the latter.  Shari of Whisk: A Food Blog chose Floating Islands for this week's recipe.  I had a busy week and weekend because of work, and by the time Sunday got here, I just didn't feel motivated to make the recipe.  Eggy and custardy things usually aren't that high on my list either, which didn't help.  I felt bad about it, but by Sunday night, I decided that I wasn't going to participate this week.  


But then on Monday, I realized that this week is the anniversary of when I joined the group.  My first recipe was the Brown Sugar-Apple Cheesecake.  In 52 weeks, I've only missed 5 recipes.  Not bad!  =)  And those were primarily because one of the main ingredients (e.g. coconut or blueberries) was something I really dislike, and I couldn't figure out a way to change up the recipe without completely re-writing it.  I still didn't feel like making meringues, but I did want to bake something.

So I turned to the list of recipes that were made before I joined TWD.  There aren't all that many, but one of them caught my eye.  I decided to make the Quintuple Chocolate Brownies.  Now when it comes to baking, my rule-following tendencies are often at war with my let's-see-what-will-happen-if-I-do-this experimental scientist tendencies. =)  So I did change a couple things in the recipe.  First, my chocolate choices.  I mostly use El Rey chocolate discs for baking, since I can buy them in bulk.  I used Gran Saman (70%) bittersweet, Caoba (41%) milk chocolate, and Icoa white chocolate, along with some Nestlé unsweetened and Scharffen Berger cocoa powder.  For the nuts I used toasted pecans.  Since I'm not that big a fan of white chocolate, I didn't actually make the glaze; I just chopped up some white chocolate and stirred it into the batter in place of some of the milk chocolate.


The verdict?  Pretty good, but not my favorite brownie recipe.  I'm not sure if I overbaked them (though I only baked them 30 minutes rather than 35), but they seemed sort of dry in texture, though very chocolatey.  I like the idea of the different types of chocolate chunks, though, so I may add them to a brownie recipe that I like better.  I'd probably skip the nuts though--I'm okay with them in cookies, but don't really like the texture of them in brownies that much.

Be sure to head over to the blogroll to see how everyone else did with the Floating Islands.  You can get the recipe here on Shari's blog.  (I do want to make them eventually!)  And the recipe for the brownies can be found on Laurie's blog.  


10 comments:

  1. Your track record for a year of TWD baking is fantastic! As are those brownies. I agree on the white chocolate; good call on leaving off the glaze. After I made these I decided I'd skip the glaze and the nuts next time I baked them. Mine weren't dry so we really liked them.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a total rule follower as well (including traffic rules, I swear that the police officer I reference in my post today is insane). I know what you mean about skipping TWD (the overachiever part may play into that too :-), but you have a great track record! This sounds like a perfect rewind! Sorry they didn't end up being your favorite, but they really do look fantastic. Quintiple chocolate anything is okay in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big rule follower too, but things life interrupts us sometimes...I didn't make the islands either. A whole year of Dorie - that rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have had a great year of baking! I started off thinking I would do every other week, but it is just so much fun I end up trying every week. I'm not sorry I missed out this week though. Sounds like you and I had a similar mind thinking! The brownies look great. I made the Kathryn Hepburn brownies in the book and I didn't care for those so I am glad to hear about the ones you made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Your brownies look delicious. My favorite brownie recipe is the one on the back of King Arthur flour. I think it would be great to add some additional choc chunks to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blog-O-Versary! Great work. A little secret: I don't think anyone is counting the "misses." You rock! Busy people get more done anyway. Way to go with the choco-choco-choco-brownies. Sounds delicious.
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on one year with TWD!
    The brownies do look tasty - and even if they weren't your favourite, they are still brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have a great track-record! i posted these brownies not long ago, too, and we loved them. they are totally a way to OD on chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on all your Dorie posts! Those brownies were one of my favorites this past year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeing so many posts on the brownie recipe was one of the things that made me want to be a part of TWD. I really want to try them. And congrats on a full year of baking!!

    ReplyDelete